by B.J. on 6/18/2003 11:35:00 AM 0 comments Print this post

Comments: Post a Comment

[Edited 12/16/03: Damn I was so PC back in the day. This was me just getting mad at something I wasn't really mad at. But A & F is still something that I see as something that signifies surfer, which happens to predominantly white, culture, so I don't go there at all]

Fuck Abercrombie and Fitch

First time I heard about this corporation was in typing class with a friendly mellow fellow named Ryan Crosner. He had on a little vest, and I was like "who the fuck are they ?" Then about a few weeks later LFO was all the rage with Abercrombie and Fitch. By then I knew who the hell they were, but I still didn't care about them.

Then came last Spring's racist ass shirts.



And I was like aww hell naw. Haha. Funny in a surfer kind of way. I reddened up and they fell off my radar screen in a matter of 2 minutes.

Yesterday I went searching for jobs with me Hane. She told me about how when she was requesting an application, this tall white worker who I suddenly want to snap, crackle, and pop like Rice Krispies took one look at her, seized her up, and said, "We're only looking for people to fill the night shifts." She didn't even say anything about the time of day she was going to work.

And this appeared at about the same time we were job searching : )

Here are some snippets from the article:

"Abercrombie & Fitch, the clothing chain that promotes a "casual classic American" look, has been hit with a discrimination lawsuit accusing it of cultivating an overwhelmingly white sales force.

When it does hire minorities, it channels them to stock room and overnight jobs, says the lawsuit, which seeks certification as a class action.

The lawsuit, filed Monday by nine Hispanic and Asian plaintiffs, alleges that Abercrombie discriminates against blacks, Hispanics and Asians. It says company policy requires all sales people to exhibit an all-white "A&F look.

Catalogs and store promotional materials display models who are mostly white, according to the lawsuit.

The company, based in New Albany, Ohio, targets college students with its upscale casual clothing. Its Web site says it features clothing "that compliments the casual classic American lifestyle." It has about 600 stores and some 22,000 employees nationwide."

Why are we backtracking into this 1950s mode of suburban living with these punkass surfers ? The all-white models are disgustingly powdery. I learned to avoid them altogether. However, I realize that's not the only case against A&F. Actually outright discriminating is what will trash these fuckheads. Discrimination goes on just about everywhere, but it'll be super sweet to trash these people that are making minorities think that A&F is the way to subconsciously "be an American." Overall, I hate how this company and how any other "skater" and "surfer" company subjects "Americanism" to white surfer culture. It's just insulting and degrading, but subtly done so.

Please anyone who reads this blog, do NOT make these fuckers rich by buying ANY of their materials. It's about kicking them where it hurts. . .the wallet. . .

 



Home Page