by B.J. on 6/07/2003 02:35:00 AM 0 comments Print this post

Comments: Post a Comment

This is the Last weekend before Summer

Let me kick it off with a ranp (rant/rap) about my Community Activism 010 class

All I have is this bullshit Comm Ac
So stupid I don't know how to react
In fact its why I'm writing this rap
Cause all I want to do is smack
The stupid hacks with an axe
For making the class lax and cool
Then attack ing us with a big pool
Of whacky q's without warning
Cutting the fuse from my mornings
Really annoyed cause its boring
What else can you really learn
About the firm that is activism
All I discern is the burn with a yearn
With fact and fact but no tact in 'em
Wactivism man fuck those chumps
I was cool earlier in the slumps of
This year with this commac
But now I think it's hella wack.

Top 10 things I learned and pondered on through most of this year:

1) The only thing I learned from Commac is that charity is bullshit. You basically rob people's dignity with it because it implies a kind of condescension from MATERIAL "giver" to "receiver." It legitimizes CEOs being rich because it presents a good image. But notice that charities don't have much to do with social change. They prefer that people remain homeless, in jail, or in mental institution.

2) Who are people to make standards ? Usually rich, white, males. Affirmative action enables the non-rich, non-white, non-males to get a shot at influencing the standards.

3) It's fun to talk about random and asshole people to beat up and "teach them lessons" especially with 'Yell. We're targeting Ryan, "Bitch" Chris on the 3rd floor, and that chem major Alex who snores at the Cowell library. Ryan's some kickboxing dude with a big tire truck. 'Yell and I would have to tag team his ass --- him tackling and fighting him up front and me, taking out his legs from behind. Bitch Chris is some normal-sized condescending punk. 'Yell and I could take him seperately. Alex is a small smearfaced dude who ruined the Zion I concert for me by standing in front of me during the Zion I concert. 'Yell and I were laughing at how this guy wouldn't know what him him. All those punks represent the San Francisco Giants according to A's fan 'Yell.

4) Intellectually, we are in a post-colonial era of thinking. We focus on specific knowledge systems rather than judging everything by our standards.

5) I love my own ethnicity. Filipinos rock.

6) The cooler air is, the denser it is. Therefore, when you run in the cold, you'll get asthma in a hurry. And also, the denser something is, the older it is.

7) I am not a roommate person. 'Well was as flawless a roommate I could ask for, but I got pissed off at the littlest things and it made for a lot of awkward situtations.

8) I could play basketball at a slow pace and still be effective.

9) You don't need to show anyone anything when you are pulled over. Just make sure not to waive that right.

10) There are cool people here at Santa Cruz. 'Well, Wibs, 'Yell, Kenny, Erwin for holding me down. Good times ya'll. Thanks Chris for inviting us to dinners. Yes, it is because you're black. Allison for the rides to and from anywhere. Lauren for making me re-realize that Blackalicious and the underground genre in general is cool. Denise for making legal studies and core "fun". John Price played basketball like a 7-year old ballerina. Alex Mac made me reminisce about old grade school times. Leslie for all the help the homeless stuff. McKenna for the dose of Bob Dylanness and Wally. Will for introducing me to French Rap. Pat and Julian for scaring my parents and friends. Stevenson Chris always had some sarcastic funny shit to say. Erin kicked it. Nils kicked it. Stephanie and Briana were fun to ride the greyhound down with. Mike for holding down that Oceans class. Joy for being hilarious in Community Activism. Raj and Jenny took part in the best project of college yet.

 



Home Page