Barack Obama's Mama Was an Anthropologist

by B.J. on 3/15/2008 07:09:00 PM 0 comments Print this post

Comments: Post a Comment

Barack Obama's Mama Was an Anthropologist

...and I am too.

Article link

I can relate to what she was described as doing:

1) "I think she was not at all personally ambitious, I think she cared about the core issues, and I think she was not afraid to speak truth to power."

2) "A weaver in college, she was fascinated with what Ms. Soetoro-Ng calls “life’s gorgeous minutiae.” That interest inspired her study of village industries, which became the basis of her 1992 doctoral dissertation."

3) "“She loved living in Java,” said Dr. Dewey, who recalled accompanying Ms. Soetoro to a metalworking village. “People said: ‘Hi! How are you?’ She said: ‘How’s your wife? Did your daughter have the baby?’ They were friends. Then she’d whip out her notebook and she’d say: ‘How many of you have electricity? Are you having trouble getting iron?’ ”"

4) "As a mother, Ms. Soetoro was both idealistic and exacting. Friends describe her as variously informal and intense, humorous and hardheaded. She preached to her young son the importance of honesty, straight talk, independent judgment."

If Barack becomes president and stays well-liked, I think I could use my profession or knowlege as a pick-up line. "Make kids with me, an anthropologist like Obama's mama, raise a progressive-thinking Harvard educated kid." I really want to start marketing that.

Hopefully, I won't have to still be spitting pick-up lines 8 years from Barack's time.

Labels: ,

 



Home Page