Fat Kids and Dental Health

by B.J. on 4/04/2008 03:55:00 AM 0 comments Print this post

Comments: Post a Comment

Now this is odd.


Fat kids have less cavities than regular-sized kids.


You would think it would be the other way around since presumably fat kids eat a lot more foods, likely "unhealthy ones" and become more susceptible to tooh erosion.

I wonder if this trend has to do with exercise levels.

In one of the dental self-sufficiency books I have, they say the teeth are merely a manifestation of a bodies' disease and not something that can be taken of in isolation.


I know that when I was a slightly overweight kid, in the mold of Bobby Hill during the junior high years, my mouth never felt cleaner. I ate whatever the fuck I want, drank lots of coke. I brushed a lot, flossed a lot, mouth never felt cleaner.

Fast forward about 10-11 years later to my height of marathon training, where I'm eating fish and rice but keeping it to a minimum, drinking water, and I'm getting all the symptoms of dry mouth: frequent thirst, dry, red tongue, dry feeling in the threat, and cracked lips. It's a coincidence that the LA Marathon organizers have been giving us all this dry mouth stuff.

Don't have quite the same brushing habits, but even if I did brush and floss twice a day, there was still a bad feeling in my mouth and my gums would still bleed.

Now that I've toned it down a bit, just a few weeks, post-marathon I don't suffer through any of those dry mouth symptoms anymore and my mouth feels healthier. I'm still brushing the same, but somehow all the brushing actually feels effective.

After reading about the Nacerima people, I do wonder of this practice of tooth brushing came from. I don't imagine no t-rex or great white shark taking out of their day to brush and floss, let alone 3 times a day.

Man's best homey doesn't brush and floss either. As it turns out, dogs have much cleaner mouths than humans. The same dogs who eat table scraps and anything off the ground. They say it has everything to do with their saliva. Saliva is its own self-regulating mechanism.

I've come to the conclusion that a good chunk of dental health seems to revolve a bit around saliva circulation. If you're not making much thanks to mouth breathing or excessive exercise, then your teeth are probably not in good shape.

With that said, I wonder if and if so, how saliva circulates better in fat kids than regular kids.

Labels: ,

 



Home Page