Depression of 2009, Economic Geogaphies of 1929

by B.J. on 7/16/2008 11:46:00 PM 0 comments Print this post

Comments: Post a Comment

I have no idea why I saved this blog here a month ago. For some reason, my memory recall of ideas has been hazy. I feel like I've been "tip of tongue" most of the time in which I know I had an idea, but it feels like I can't quite capture exactly what it is. I'm hitting everything, except the exact strand of thought that clarifies everything.

The Depression of 2009 and the Economic Geographies of 1929.

At the time I del.icio.us'ed it to my "blog" tag, I was thinking of a possible master's thesis, the geography of opportunity, for my Master's application, I made a trip to the Center for Land Use Interpretation bought a book and set of maps called Radical Cartography and another book called Slow Space.

Quotes of interest:

-"In discussions of the current financial crisis, the importance of housing and mortgages, and of foreign account imbalances, notably with East Asian manufacturing economies, suggests a failure in spatial fixes on which capitalism has been said to depend."

Spatial fixes I've learned from this blog, and this paper are simply "geographic expressions of an economic system."

-"It is a matter of material sites of social reproduction, such as the home."

So what was of interest to me? What was the question or questions I was interested in?

Some possibilities...

1) What were the economic cycles were people enmeshed in at the time? What was the physical infrastructure, layout that made this possible in the first place? Upon what did people depend on to obtain commodities to sustain their lifestyles? What was the geography that enabled them to depend on such things in the economy? I think this is likely what I was most wondering about.

2) What did the maps of 1929 look like? Was there spontaneous consumership and what did that look like?

3) Could it have to do with immigrants and following the flow of goods and commodities?

4) What were the social networks available? Upon what networks of relatives, co-workers, friends did people rely on during the depression?

5) What were the opportunities they saw and what did they seize upon?

I can't quite figure out what was interesting, so it's just here and maybe something else will remind me.

Labels: , ,

 



Home Page